Wednesday, July 27, 2011

GG's Waterfront - Hollywood, FL


GG's is located just north of Hallandale Beach on A1A .  The location sits on the Intracoastal Waterway and provides a very relaxed atmosphere for an early evening dinner.   The feature half-price drinks and appetizers from 4-7PM during the week which is why I chose to check this place out.

First glances proved to be dead-on as I went inside.  I had thought to myself as I drove by, "That looks like a place that a lot of alimony could be spent".  I would say the early evening crowd was 5-1 Female to male.  Not a bad thing if you are a single guy.  However, most of the patrons here were WAY above my pay grade!!!  Besides, I only stopped so I could share my dinner experience with ya'll. :)

I started dinner with what they call the Floribbean Crab Cakes. A mixture of lump crab meat and seasonings (there was a lot of taste so I didn't even try to pick out all the flavors). These were pan seared and served over a black bean and corn salsa with a roasted red pepper sauce.  They were absolutely delicious.  I thought they were a little on the small side when they arrived, but the richness of the flavors would have been to much if the serving had been larger.

Main course was the Ahi Tuna steak.  Now the menu said it was served with shallots.  Being that I am from south Alabama, I wasn't sure what a dang shallot was!!  So I googled it as I enjoyed the crab cakes before I ordered it.  As it turns out, shallots are just little onions.  You know the kind Grandma used to grow in the little garden and we'd cut the green part off and use for a straw? I had the tuna cooked medium which was more than the chef wanted to cook it but since I was paying and didn't need any bait today, I decided to have it cooked through.  The sauce that the tuna was served over was  very "citrusy" and had a layer of pure honey on top of it which proved a very nice combination.  It was very tasty and was served with sautéed zucchini, yellow squash, carrots and rice. As you look at the picture, the rice looks a little yellow.  THAT IS BUTTER YA'LL.  I don't know who told the southern Florida chef that you could put REAL BUTTER in white rice and make it amazing, but somebody did.  I suspect he has visited south Alabama before (Holmes County, FL at a minimum).

If you find yourself on A1A and don't want to get all the way down into the craziness that is south beach, stop by and have a bite at GG's.  
9 on atmosphere, 8 on food.  



No comments:

Post a Comment