Saturday, July 23, 2011

Argentango - Hollywood FL.

Well it has been awhile since we posted to the TGs but I will do my best to give you some updates this week from South Florida.  I am traveling solo this trip so you won't have Jonathan's view to oppose or agree with mine.  You'll just have to take my word.  We start the trip with dinner at Argentango in a really cool area of downtown Hollywood, Fl.

 I went here on a recommendation from one of the music producers friends from ATL.  I should have taken a couple of things into consideration that I did not.

1. A lot of people in the music business have very strange hours that they choose to eat.
2. A lot of people in the music business partake in substances that make you very hungry (munchies).
3. When you have the munchies, EVERYTHING is good.

View looking up from my table
I try to conform my hours to whomever I am working with but 8-9PM is just too late for this southern boy to eat dinner. I do not partake in substances that make you "munchie" hungry,therefore, EVERYTHING is not always good.

I hate to give a place a bad rap but this place was just bad. It started with me asking for water with lemon to drink.  I thought that was pretty hard to screw up.  As it turns out, the lemon must have been  an issue because it wasn't in the water and when I asked for it again, it still didn't happen.   Am I being trivial about lemon in my water? Yes, but I wanted lemon and never got it.  I found out where all the lemons were going when they brought my appetizer.

I chose to go the safe route by ordering a shrimp cocktail.  Check out the lemon!!! Carved beautifully and more than half the entire lemon.  NONE LEFT FOR WATER!!!!!  Ok.  I'm over the lemon. Was there a memo about eating seafood at room temperature that I missed?  I like shrimp cocktail cold.  Cold like it's been in the fridge or on ice or (here is a novel idea) cover them with ice to chill them before serving and THEN bring them out.  If they are warm, that means they have been sitting out of the cool "area" for a while.

These were served with an an average cocktail sauce and what they called "Golf Sauce".  I guess most cocktails sauces are really pretty average.  I like to make it myself with COLD Heinz ketchup and horseradish.   That's all, nothing else.  Nothing green.  Pretty dang simple.  "Golf Sauce", as it turns out, is mayo and ketchup blended very well.  I like that on almost anything but it just didn't work for me here.  May have been because the shrimp were WARM!!

Main course was the "PETIT “ENTRAÑA".  This is a 14 oz skirt steak.  I chose the "petit" version because the regular is a 28 oz portion billed as the "World's Longest Steak".  First of all, something just sounds wrong about having the "World's Longest" anything on a menu.  Secondly, 28 oz was way more than I wanted to undertake.


The steak looked really good.  It was, however, perhaps the most bland piece of meat I've ever eaten.  As you can see, there were herbs and spices, but it tasted like these were mixed in olive oil and just poured on the steak after it was cooked.  They added nothing and made the steak's texture seem greasy.  I chose mashed sweet potatoes as my side and these were the highlight of the dinner.  They could have used more cinnamon and butter, but I defy you to find something that couldn't.  


I will not be back to the eatery if I have a choice.  Sorry Argentango but you are a "no go" for me.


3 out of 10.
http://argentangogrillhollywood.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment