Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cabo Fish Taco - Charlotte, NC



I read about this place and had looked forward to visiting ever since. It is tucked away in a artsy part of Charlotte with several other neat looking shops and restaurants.

I started with the Cabo Roll.  This is a wrap made with crabmeat, blackened shrimp, roasted red peppers, several grated cheeses, and tomatoes.  It comes with a large serving of guacamole and is topped with a white cilantro sauce.
It is described on the menu as served "sushi" style.  As best I can tell, that means cut into pieces that are just a little big for one bite and will fall completely apart if you try to make it two. The filling was very good but the cilantro sauce was a bit bland for what I was expecting.  Good but not great.  The guacamole was very good I thought although it finished with a slightly bitter aftertaste.  I have had a lot of guac that did this, maybe that is what is supposed to do.  Hey, I'm from Dothan, AL.  Not exactly the guacamole center of the universe.

For the meal, I had the Honey Wasabi Tuna Burrito.  WAAAYYYYYY GOOOOD.   The filling was grilled yellow fin tuna, rice, carrots, celery, tomatoes, mixed cheeses and the white honey wasabi sauce.  The tuna was cooked perfectly for me.  Medium leaning slightly towards medium rare.  Almost any fish is very easy to cook to much and make very dry, this was tender and juicy, Very nice.  The mixture of the fresh veggies and rice was also very good.
I was worried about the celery because I am not a huge celery fan, but, as with many dishes, I hardly noticed it was there.  That is a good thing in my book.  The honey wasabi sauce was good but I only got that open your nose and throat and entire head feeling without being  overwhelmingly hot feeling that only wasabi gives you, once.

The side was a brown rice topped with a mango-pineapple chutney.  Typical brown rice but the chutney was nice.  Sweet but not overly. Enough tang to taste the pineapple which was really good.

I only had one complaint about the entire meal, the flour tortilla wrap itself.  The wrap was very heavy and added nothing except being an easy way to hold your food.  I actually asked the waitress if you could order the meal without the wrap and she said that you could.  I would do that again in a heartbeat.

Nice atmosphere with, again, a very diverse crowd.  Not overdone, just sufficient.  Give them a try if you are in town.  It  is definitely worth the trip.

Very solid 7 for me, maybe better if I leave the wrap off next time.

Bill


No comments:

Post a Comment